Friday, June 26, 2009

Juun J.





Juun J.
First show of the day on Thursday! Held at the Bastille Design Center- the venue was perfect for the dark tone of the show. The front row was lined in the middle with the Japanese mafia and buyers everywhere! I liked some of the pieces, but at times I couldn’t help but feel like some of the pieces were over designed and styled in a non-asthetically pleasing way. There were pants layered with shorts, lace overlays, and handfuls of pockets on pieces that I felt could have been beautiful without the excess. Mainly I blame the styling, the references/inspiration seemed all too reminiscent of other designers in seasons past and familiar with the lace, shorts, proportions, and short sleeve jumpsuit if you get my drift. It looked good it just seemed in a way to be lacking an organic inspiration. Nonetheless there were some great pieces: beautifully constructed translucent trenchcoats made of a great almost silk like fabric, an interesting take on a navy suit, and some light textured shorts-all of which I liked alot. The color palette of the collection consisted of black, white, navy, grey and cream.