Monday, June 28, 2010

Jean Paul Gaultier

Adventures in Gaultier Land




Gaultier provided a collection fit for the traveler- at any age as he sent older bearded men and clean cut young models down the runway . Gaultier continued religious and nautical references but brought in a bit of goth, outerspace, and some street with his inclusion of what seemed to be doo- rags on many of the men. I like Gaultier, although some of his stuff isn’t particular appealing for me, I appreciate his consistency. I have come to find that he always presents pieces that push the boundary, and might even seem borderline perverse to some. I think you have to understand his silly personality and perspective. I recommend reviewing early episodes of Eurotrash for this. Must we not forget he is a somewhat of a Parisian staple, after all even Carine goes to his men’s shows.

P.s. Ysl and Betty Catroux is that you at the end?